FAQS - Commercial Cookery Courses

Contact us if you have more questions
What is the entry requirement?
a. Academic Requirements:
     Year 11 or equivalent certificate of senior secondary education
b. English Requirements:
    •    International students require a minimum IELTS overall score of 5.5 or
    •    PTE Academic: Pearson's Test of English score no lower than 42
    •    (If the level of English is insufficient, a suitable course can be organised)
c. Age Requirements: 18 years and above
What is the English requirement?
As above
Is this course recognised by any professional body?
Yes, the SIT30816 Certificate III in Commercial Cookery is Nationally Recognised Training, the Australian Skills Qualification Authority and is suitable for an Australia Apprenticeship.
What will be my visa subclass?
How many days of classes will be there?
Three (3) classes per week:
Two (2) days practical in the training kitchen and one (1) day Theory at Bourke Street Campus
Does AAPoly provide Internship and placement? Is it paid or unpaid?
Work Integrated learning/Placement is a foundation requirement of the program which completed during Stage 4 of the SIT30816 Certificate III in Commercial Cookery and Stage 6 of the SIT40516 Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery.

AAPoly organises the placement for all students undertaking the course with our preferred Host Organisations.
How many hours of Internship I have to complete to get the qualification?
SIT30816 Certificate III in Commercial Cookery: 200 hours minimum
SIT40516 Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery: 200 hours minimum
What is my employment opportunities/outcome?
This qualification provides a pathway to work as a commercial cook in organisations such as restaurants, hotels, clubs, pubs, cafes, cafeterias and coffee shops.

Job Titles can include:
i. Cook
ii. Chef
iii. Kitchen Supervisor
Will I get a qualification in specific cuisine?
No specific cuisine or specialisation, the SIT30816 Certificate III in Commercial Cookery is a generic program covering all aspects, cuisines and methods of cookery.
Can I apply for Permanent Residency after completing my course?
Seek advice from an authroised Migration Agent or visit www.homeaffairs.gov.au
Can I study English course before the starting the course?
Is there any pathway option after completing the course?
After achieving SIT30816 Certificate III in Commercial Cookery, individuals could progress to SIT40516 Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery, SIT40616 Certificate IV in Catering Operations or SIT40716 Certificate IV in Patisserie. Students also can further their studies in Diploma of Hospitality Management, Advanced Diploma of Hospitality Management and Bachelor of Tourism and Hospitality Management.
I am Vegetarian or have religious belief; can I get admission in the program?
Yes, however, please be advised handling of raw meat such as beef, pork and shellfish will be a requirement of the practical training.
Apart from tuition fees and material fees is there any cost involved in the course?
Refer to Letter of Offer, such as Book Fee, Administration Fee, Knife Kit, Uniform etc.
I am domestic student can I get government funding for the course?
Eligible candidates potentially can be provided government funding under the Skills First funding framework.
I don’t like cooking; can this course help me to build my career as a chef?